Thursday, January 10, 2013

Homemade Mexican Pizza with Guacamole!

I've been trying to be a smidge healthier in 2013... Pizza is one of my staples that would have been difficult to completely give up. This is a neat spin on the traditional pizza; replace the sauce with salsa and use taco toppings with cheddar (instead of mozzarella) cheese. Though it may not be much healthier, it makes me feel better to have  beans, corn and spinach on top with some fresh homemade guac with all those omega fats!! Here's how to make it, in picture form!!

Here is the final product:


You will need:

- A can of black beans
- Frozen corn (or canned)
- A jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 Avocado
- Pizza dough - we used whole wheat
- 1 2 cup bag of mexican blend cheese
- Baby spinach leaves
- Lemon juice
- Salt
- Pepper
- A bit of flour


Step #1 - Grease your pan and flour your work surface! Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F!
DO NOT forget to grease - I have lost many a good pizza to this silly mistake.


Step #2 - Roll out your dough!
I usually just use a round class cup to do this, since I'm cheap and refuse to buy a rolling pin. Nalgenes work pretty well too!

 Step #3 - Add your salsa!!

Step #4 - Cheese it up!

Step #5 - Add your baby (or normal) spinach leaves!!
(I picked these out of a bag of spring mix that my boyfriend got to make salad with.)

Step #6 - Add your corn and black beans!
I used about 1/4 cup of each.

Step #7 - Pop 'er in the oven! Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has all melted. 


Step #8 - In the meantime, start your guac!
Chop up your avocado and add it to a bowl or to your food processor. I added probably 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (to prevent browning) and some salt and black pepper. Mash it up with a fork or blend it on low! 


FINALLY - Your finished product!! Let rest for a few minutes, cut up and serve with your guacamole!!

 Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment